Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Checking in

Alright, Cycling Cathy's post reminded me that I really do mean to use this blog as a sort of report on my working out. Not that it matters too much, but it's nice to feel as though you're accountable in some way for activity.

A few co-workers and I formed a team to count the number of steps we take in a day through the healthysd website. I think we'll get pedometers from the state. I have one at home, but was never able to get it calibrated correctly.

I don't really enjoy this lack of daylight. The morning seems like it would be an ideal time for me to get outside for my run, but it is very difficult for me to get out of bed. It's warm there and the house is full of sleepy pets and a couple of sleepy people. Even when I go to bed early, it's still tough to get up. I suppose that's where I should just decide to drive to Vermillion and work out in the a.m.

However, when I don't have a rigid work schedule, I prefer to go and run over the noon hour. OR walk, or whatever.

Last Friday I didn't make it home in time to run before the sun was gone. So, I did two miles up and down the driveway with flashlight in hand. Saturday, I was at the cheer and dance competition for work in Yankton. I enjoyed watching the routines more than I enjoy watching football. My feet were still very tired after standing on cement all day.

On Sunday we cleaned house and family came over. I shot some photos for my brother and his girlfriend, mom and grandma stopped down and we all had dinner at Texas Roadhouse in Vermillion. Yum. It was really nice to hang out with family at home.

Last night I was home by 4, so I was able to run and see a really pretty sunset. I got 3.1 miles in. I felt really good and thought that I was going at a good pace, maybe faster than normal. I must've slacked a bit at other times during the run. I was a minute slower than normal. Still, it was a perfect evening. Once I started, I was at a comfortable temperature and there wasn't much of a wind to speak of.

I have been getting some miles in on the trainer. My attention span is generally only good for 30-45 minutes. IT's better than nothing and right now it's just to fill space between runs or when I don't feel like running. I also bought a yoga DVD and get around to doing that in the morning once or twice a week.

There still are a number of gaps in my 'training log', but I'm doing my best to not be a coach potato.

I'm tentatively planning to run the jingle bell 5k, a run prior to the parade of lights in Sioux Falls on the 28th. Is anyone else going to either event (5k and/or parade of lights?)

Happy Tuesday!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're doing great on keeping up an exercise routine! I just signed up for the step challenge today! I'm not going to the Parade of Lights or the Jingle Bell Run - I'll be resting my tired feet after a day of shopping.

Tez said...

ugh...You guys and your running! HATE running and would rather put the bike on the trainer and put in a movie.