Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Our Menagerie

We've got quite the crew of mouths to feed around here. Nick gets a kick out of having animals to care for. I think that it's cool too.

Seven chickens roost in our barn. We got 10 of them a few months ago as chicks. Sketch likes to hunt mice typically, but was thrilled to find food catered for him. Thus, only 7 now. They're getting bigger and will likely soon lay eggs. The rooster is getting quite cocky and keeps his hens in line.


Photobucket


A few weeks ago, about 70 cows here, 35 mommas and 35 calves, lived here. Those have gone to pasture, but Nick brought home a little red holstein steer. He named him Joe. I had been calling him Lunchmeat, I don't want to get attached. Nick says once I have to chase him around the yard a few times, I'll be ready to eat steak. He's already stepped on my feet a few times while I feed him. When he puts some weight on, it's going to hurt. And he gets feisty when he wants his bottle. It's not wise to hold the bottle in front of one's stomach, or I suppose groin area. He'll thump the bottle up with a bit of force.

While I was working in the strawberry patch, I found a lot of earthworms/nightcrawlers. Here's the longest worm that I've seen. And here it's not even all stretched out.










And here's the domestic pets. Ruby and Sketch have become quite the twosome, following each other around the farm. Though Sketch finds it a bit problematic to hunt with a big obnoxious dog on his tail. Occasionally they'll both meet me on the driveway when I come home from a ride.

Photobucket Photobucket Napping Buddies

Pixel and Ruby have become quite chummy lately too, though she's been careful to not allow photographic evidence of such activity.

Photobucket













































































No comments: