Wednesday, June 11, 2008

TDK: A Brief Synopsis

Day 1: Nick and I camped in S Falls the night before. It had rained, I was cold. It stopped by the time we were packing up. I was interviewed by KDLT.

Trip to Mitchell with Cycling Cathy went well, and without incident. Jim, a Lanehog from Platte, caught us at a rest stop and rode with us into town. Mitchell was pleasant. A train went through at 4am. I was already awake because I was FREEZING.

Day 2: I will post corn palace pictures later. Lost Cathy as soon as we turned west. She is a speedy lady. I met a gal named Brittany and rode with her to Mt Vernon. The night before my front tire took alot of air. Shortly outside Mt. Vernon i discovered a flat. I had hoped that was why I was so slow. But fixing it still didnt boost my speed much beyond 8 or 9 miles an hour. I wanted to pick away at the miles, but wanted to enjoy camp too. Somewhere between Plankington and White Lake I began looking at the SAG wagon like a dog looks at steak. I saw a replica of my bike at White Lake and was very happy to have found Cathy. The waiting list for the SAG was long and it helped that Cathy and Co.had a plan. It made the choice a no brainer. Read her blog.

Day 3: I met up with Bonnie and Mary Jean to tackle the hills to Highmore. There were loads. We didnt walk up any of them. We made it in decent time. We were even greeted at the edge of town with a lady holding out popcicles. When you've just climbed however many feet (check Biking Brady's Blog) you dont want to stop. But it tasted good. Highmore really rolled out the welcome mat. Yummy pie. Great entertainment. It did get super windy and I kinda thought the tent would blow away. I wore several layers of clothes and at least stayed warm.

Day 4: slept in until 6. Wind started from the east, which is the direction we were heading. I met the ladies and we were rolling at 8. Bad news, it had started to rain. We tried a small paceline. Stopped about five miles out. Considered calling it quits and going back to highmore. Rain was stinging my eyes even with glasses. We got 6 more miles to the stop at Ree Heights. Pushed on to Miller. The rain let up and the wind started to switch. Mary jean's hubby picked her up. It was nice ish out so Bonnie and I went on to Wessington. Bonnie wiped out outsode of St Lawrence. More on that later. She is fine, she collected herself and we did get to Wessington. Her chest was sore and something felt kinda tight. Mary Jean and her husband picked her up. I kept going since there was only 30 ish miles left and we had been enjoying a tailwind. I've gotta say that I dont care much for this Hwy 14 route. There are EMS vehicles posted every few miles and a HyPo sweeping it, but there is still a lot of traffic. I got in to Huron by 3:30 and am camped in my tent inside of a building. One one hand its kinda loud. On the other, I will be warm tonight. Ive gotta go get my ear plugs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you hear me cheering you on - way to go! I'm excited to hear all the details. Congrats on climbin those monster hills outside of Chamberlain!!

bikingbrady said...

WOOT! Welcome to the dark side of blogging :-)