Monday, August 18, 2008

Busy Week and a Day to celebrate

So, I haven't been on my bike since August 8. And I haven't run since August 11. No exciting ride blogs here.

I have,however, been doing yardwork. I started working on a trail of sorts, however short, around our acreage. I weedwacked a bit of it and my arms were rather tired afterword. So, I'm content with that as some level of physical activity.

I'd post pictures of the path, but it's nothing to look at yet. I tried it with a bike, and need to tweak a couple curves yet. Hopefully I can get flowers and things other than grass growing to add some visual interest along the trail. Someone in my household thinks that I may get distracted and lose interest before I get too far with the project. :D He may be right, but I'll try. I imagine that I have my whole life to build on that place, but I need to stake a claim on it before kids come along and put go cart trails everywhere. Both may take some time.

Hubby caught a cold this past week and was close to death. I of course got one as well, but wasn't as severe. We're getting better, though I'm still tired. Instead of a ride on Saturday, I transplanted herbs in my yard to an area around our deck. It's something that needed to be done. They'll look better there too, if they survive the transplant shock.

Yesterday in the matter of 7 hours we husked, scraped, cooked, bagged and froze 500 ears of sweetcorn. Yikes. It was nearly enough to break down the freezer. My mom and grandma stopped by to provide an extra set of hands in the afternoon. Though we're happy to have yummy corn that should last us nearly until next season.

A ride would've been lovely, but we enjoyed the bonding time and the hours flew quickly. I only have cell phone pictures of the husk carnage.

We had a bbq with friends on Friday, and had family over for awhile yesterday. It was nice to have a relaxing, yet busy weekend. It really makes today more special. Nick and I have been married for a whole year! The weeks really flew by. We have fun goofing around, but really work well together and get jobs done. It is nice to have a partner in crime and a great family backing us up as well.

3 comments:

Tez said...

First off, CONGRATS ON ONE YEAR!

Sounds like you had a busy weekend. That corn will taste great when you have it for supper on a cold January evening!

I finally got on the bike this past weekend for a 20 mile ride and it was the first since MS150! Sometimes life gets in the way from what we really want to do!

Unknown said...

Congrats to you and Nick! Hard to believe it has already been a year. The path sounds like a neat idea - and doing yard work can be almost as therapeutic as a bike ride!

Ham(m)er said...

yeah, our garden was a lost cause. I'm bummed about that, I had visions of grandeur of eating fresh, yummy, veggies like sugar snap peas (which we did get a few), spaghetti squash, etc. It was such a wet spring, the weeds over took it so quick. Plus in the spring I'd rather bike!

Tez, nice job with the 20 miler!!

I'm feeling more like running lately, but I can do that all winter. There's only so much time left to bike! What a bummer!