Saturday, August 23, 2008

New Addition to the Family

When people ask if we want another cat, I typically answer that we are to have no more house pets nor do we need another mouth to feed. We've talked that if we got another dog, assuming in several years after Ruby grows old and leaves us, we'd maybe like a big dog like a German Shepherd. We've come across other nearly free labradors and thought it'd be fun to get a playmate for Ruby. But she's a spoiled indoor dog and how could we have a dog outside when Ruby would be in with us?

Nick's boss's wife got Max, a German shepherd yesterday. Though, like most puppies, Max work his teeth and nips at people. There's a baby grandchild in that family, so a nipping puppy wasn't going to work. What to do, what to do? Hmmm.... Well, it COULD go back to the vet where it came from. All of its siblings had already been adopted. But Nick called to ask what I thought about bringing him home.

I didn't have a problem with the idea, but we really don't have any business bringing another pet into the house. Max is a pure blood German Shepherd. We decided that we'll try to have him as an outdoor dog. He'll probably like that pretty well. He'll be huge. Plus, maybe, he might be helpful working with the cattle that we seem to be acquiring as well.

Max doesn't come without a few issues. He is, afterall, a puppy. He nearly began chewing on my sandals. The sandals that replaced a pair of sandals that Ruby had chewed when SHE was a puppy. I need to keep my cycling shoes out of his path too.

Ruby and Max seem to be compatible. They were rolling around together on the ground instantly. Pixel seems to be irritated that we've AGAIN brough another animal into the family. She'll maybe forgive us by New Year's. That doesn't mean that she'll be yet speaking to Max. Sketch doesn't seem to care.



PS CDV: You and your kids can bike up here and play with the canines any time!! Then that's 30 miles toward your son's goal of fifty AND you don't have to buy a puppy. :D

4 comments:

CDV said...

That is a great idea, we just might take you up on that.

Unknown said...

We had two German Shepherds when I was growing up. "Captain" who looked like Max and then "Rowdy" was was all white. Captain was the smartest dog I've ever known - one early morning the pigs had gotten out but Captain had them all grouped together in the middle of the driveway, circling them and barking until my Dad got up and got the pigs back in their pen. I'm sure Max will be a great farm dog!

Ham(m)er said...

That's a cute story Cathy! Max has quite the bark already. We had a German Shepherd, Ralph, when I was little. I was maybe three. I have a picture of me standing with my hands on my hips, staring him square in the eye. I should scan it and post it sometime.

Pets have such a place in our hearts.

Tez said...

CONGRATS...he looks like a cutie! You might have to put him on www.dogster.com