Sunday, September 28, 2008

Our Dogs are MIA



Ruby and Max went outside this morning to play, which is normal for them. We generally have to kick them out of the house in fairly short order so that they don't level the house as they play. That was around eight a.m. or so. By 9:30a.m. when Nick went out to check on the other animals, the pups weren't around. It's not unusual for Ruby to go off on an adventure a little bit. There've been a couple of times when Max was whimpering outside because Ruby had abandoned him. We were glad that she was able to ditch him because he's too small to keep up just yet. Though she's generally good about letting him hang with her when they're clowing around the yard.

The problem is that they hadn't returned by the time we'd left for a grocery run to Vermillion. They weren't home when we got back and they haven't returned yet.

I've been yelling for them all day. Typically Ruby comes running when she hears me. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes for her to come screaming out of the field, but not today. I think she's with Max and doesn't want to leave him behind. They shouldn't have gotten out of earshot, he gets tired and lazy after running/walking two thirds of a mile with me.

It may be slightly possible that they were snatched. I'd like to think it unlikely. I've never seen Ruby anywhere near the road, except if she's with me running. So, I don't know.

Who knows what stupid games they got up to. Silly dogs.

Now, Sketch (cat) can be gone for a full day or more and I don't blink if I haven't seen him. Sometimes I think in my head, "Gee, I hope that he comes back this time.It just seems different with the pups.

I've called around a little and put the word out with the immediate neighbors.

On the off chance that you were in the area and have seen the puppies pictured above email mhamersma79@yahoo.com. They would've been up in the area of 306th (Volin road) and Greenfield Road. Their names are Ruby Sue (the yellow lab) and Max (German Shepherd puppy). They don't currently have collars on.

Though we left them home alone Friday afternoon, Friday night and most all of Saturday. I imagine that they are generally concerned about our return then too.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope they come back soon! I'll keep an eye out for them.

Ham(m)er said...

It's Monday morning and still no pups. Even Sketch seemed even more beside himself this morning. I think that he was looking around the house for the dogs when he came in from his night out.

I don't think that there are too many places around our acreage where they can get into trouble. There is a slough/muddy/grassy area in the neighboring field. I'm worried that they got stuck over there.

On the other hand, Max is a three month old male un-neuterd puppy. Our plan has been to fix him, but the vet said wait until he's closer to 6 months. Ruby may be accompanying him on some stupid tour of the countryside. In which case, they should be able to find their way back.

We'll keep putting the word out. It's such a big world for critters so small.

Thanks Cathy Jo for the well wishes.

bikingbrady said...

Hope they come back to you soon. I'm sure you are anxious for their safe return.

CDV said...

Do we need to organize a search and rescue via bikes. Let us know, we can get some people on the roads looking if you think it would help.

Ham(m)er said...

Thank you CDV,

I guess we'll see if they show up tonight. I thought about going on the gravel with my hybrid... But I didn't want to call for them from too many directions in case that confused them more, ya know? I went to an abandoned farm place directly south of us to call for them there a bit.

I guess searching ditches for a hit dog would make sense on bike. I looked on both sides of the paved road on our mile. I don't think they would've gone along the paved road, but I don't know.

We checked open man holes along the water line to the west of us. I tried to go through the corn field a bit, but that's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

How does a person even guess which way two dogs would've decided to go? The diameter of the search area could be HUGE, maybe a possibility of 30 miles after 24 hours. At least.

We will see what tonight brings. I'm going to stop at more houses and show pictures.