Monday, September 15, 2008

Please keep my grandpa in your thoughts...

Edited 9-15-08 6:30 p.m. to say:

I called the VA and the nurse there said that my grandpa is feeling a bit better. I don't think fantastic, but better. He got up to go to the dining room and eat lunch, so I'm taking that as a good sign. So, we'll see. My mom went to visit him tonight. I haven't heard from her yet.

_____________________


Okay, I'm skipping the margarita ride and will post photos later.

I didn't attend the post post ride festivities because I was tired and just wanted to go home for a little bit. This worked out in my favor anyway.

My grandfather has been having some spells off and on since like February of this year. Unfortunately as people age, it seems like deteriorating health is a nasty side effect.

I got a call as I was laying down for a nap at 3:30 from my aunt in North Carolina. The Vets hospital had called saying that my grandpa was having chest pains and his blood pressure dropped into the 30s. They were wondering where family were, just in case. I call my grandpa, he asks if I and Nick were coming up. Nobody could get ahold of my brother. I contact Nick and then hop through the shower as I hadn't removed evidence of the ride earlier in the day yet.

I was able to get my brother, I met him in Beresford and we rode together to Sioux Falls. As we got closer my mom called and said that my grandpa was feeling better and was approaching normal again. My brother and I were walking into the VA at 4:40 p.m.

We were all able to hang out together. The blood tests indicate that there wasn't a heart attack. The doctor's thought he had a reaction to some medicine.

Yesterday I got a call from my uncle saying that my grandpa was having another spell, but didn't want everybody coming up since it tired him out. Ornery bugger. I'm sure that he doesn't want to feel like he's inconvienencing anyone either.

Today I call him and he sounds tired. And he says that it's not good. He's a little better than yesterday, but not great.

Now, we've had a number of scares. He tends to come back and feels better again. He's a feisty old guy. But, I also know that time isn't unlimited for a man of 87 years. He does have a sister who is 97 years and is still fairly mobile.

Watching loved ones age is difficult. But, I am thankful for every day that I have with them.

3 comments:

CDV said...

I will keep you and your Grandpa in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

Thinking of you and your family!

Tez said...

DITTO!